Friday, December 3, 2010

Stuff it!


This is the time of year when we consume the most delicious and mysterious of foods: stuffing. It's the best part of my Thanksgiving every year, and if I am very lucky, Christmas as well. The reason I say mysterious is that it is always questionable what consists of stuffing from table to table. We are basically consuming a bready, perhaps sausagy substance that has been stuffed up a bird's ass and baked, then only to be removed from said bird's ass to be drenched in gravy and stuffed into our more than willing mouths. I never question the mystery food and take a break from my overly logical and skeptical life to indulge in my favorite holiday food.

My love for stuffing is what gave me my most recent knitting related idea. I am sure this has been done before, but I have never seen anyone suggest it. I've recently been knitting many hats and, as a result, also had to block many hats. Usually after I finish a hat, especially a slouchy hat, I have always blocked them over a plate. First I would soak them for 15 to 30 minutes, gently squeeze them out in a towel, all done as not to harm the fabric; then I would shove a plate inside, stretching out the fabric of the hat as I wanted, but practically destroying the brims elasticity. It always came out perfect at the top and a uselessly stretch out mess at the brim. This is were my eureka idea came in at the Thanksgiving table: Stuff It!

Luckily, I have an unhealthy obsession with knitted toys and therefore have a baleful of polyfill stuffing lying around in my stash. After I finished my routine washing I delicately pushed handfuls of toy stuffing into my hats until I had reached my desired shape, then I propped it on top of my swift to dry for a day or so.


Although it looks like a little bit of a mess, this process yields great results, thankfully, leaving the brims unharmed.

I now have two versions of my red hat, and a lovely Christmas present for my sister made out of the blue, all to be revealed in good time. They all have a perfectly elastic brim, all thanks to the worlds most devily delicious food every to be created.

No comments:

Post a Comment